Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Time slipping away

It's Wednesday night here, although I'm in total denial about that. Where did Tuesday go? I think this week skipped Tuesday and we just didn't notice, it already being a short week and all. I wish we did skip tuesday, as in truth Tuesday was a bad day at work for me, it's got me re-thinking my work choices. Sadly, given that I'm not as yet earning any money as a writer, I have to earn my living in a regular job. A few months ago I changed my job and went into property management thinking that it would be an interesting choice. Really, it wasn't one of my best decisions. While no decision is a total failure - everything is fodder to a writer - I do think that I need to find something else.

So today I thought I would research work from home possibilities, of which there are a seemingly unlimited number when you start looking. Sadly, legitimate work from home positions are rather thinner on the ground. Basically I have wasted many hours and got pretty much nowhere. Worse, I didn't do anything about formatting my book today. Well I did do something. I read the information and made a decision but I have yet to implement this decision.

There comes a time when it only makes sense to outsource. Formatting this book is one of those times. I can get it done at a very reasonable rate and that will free my time so that I can focus on the list of publicity things I am supposed to do. That list grew while I was looking for professional formatters and found more advice from Smashwords. Since I will be uploading to Smashwords I trust that the list of people who will format manuscripts into ebooks is a reliable one. Likewise I trust that a booklet of tips (free) from Smashwords is also reliable and useful and I should probably take on board the advice and apply it.

The good thing about all of this, and the thing that I remind myself frequently, is that having done this once, it should be much quicker and easier for all forthcoming books. And there will be forthcoming books. I have four more waiting not very patiently to be written. But first things first, get this book published and stop going off onto tangents!

My apologies to anyone who looked for a blog yesterday since I didn't write one. I will try not to skip a day again, or at least let you know if I intend to.

Sometimes my tangents lead me to interesting results. I will attach a photo of where a broken terracotta pot and the disinclination to write led me to one weekend about a month ago :)


No comments:

Post a Comment